Friday, April 27, 2012

Lovely Ol' England

Hey there! I recently went to England to visit our family and had the most spectacular time! I couldn't get over how beautiful and clean everything was! This trip was very short, only two days, so we did London and the small town of Leigh by the Sea. Next time, we will definitely be spending more time in London and also some time in the English Countryside. I took a zillion pictures and I wanted to share some of the many with you all. I have also included a few traveling tips. 
When to book:
Flying on Ryanair can be very, very inexpensive....unless you are flying on a holiday. Check the European holidays on a calender before you book. Make sure your trip (if you have this option that is) doesn't land during a European holiday. For example, Easter weekend is four days but the Easter holiday lasts two weeks. Do your research and don't book during this time if you want to save some major dough.



Right in Front of Buckingham Palace

This is a list of some must tries while you are staying in England:
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Scones and clotted cream
- Fish and Chips...duh
- A Shandy (Pilsner and sparkling lemonade)
-Cadbury Splats and a Crunchy bar.
-Check out a market place. They have wonderful food, drinks and other fabulous finds!

How to dress: 
I don't know if it's because I am a Cali girl, but London fog is no joke..dress warm. Layers are the best way to go. As my wise cousin Maria said, (insert a beautiful British accent here) "It's better to dress warm and be able to take a big jacket off, than to freeze!" Thank you Maria!
England is very expensive right now, but you should definitely get some awesome British accessories while you are over there, or, you will stand out like a dopey dressed American like myself. Also, because accessories are lighter in weight, they don't always cost as much to lug back home. Here are a few of my new items!
I love my new over the shoulder travel bag with a long strap, makes traveling Europe so much easier (H&M)! It's the most perfect size. Bright scarves (also from H&M) are really popular along with tube scarves that loop around your neck. The shoes are from Deichmann in Germany (a super inexpensive shoe store) and are great for a both casual and nice outfits. I love my fun sunglasses and owl ring from an awesome accessory and clothing store in the UK called Monsoon, check it out if you are in the area. The sister store to Monsoon is called Accessorize. The lotion above is from an Indian market but has done wonders for my skin. I am going to change the subject on you really quick...If you have or are re-locating to Germany, the water here will wreak havoc on your skin and hair. For that I recommend:
The Philosophy Micro-delivery kit, and this all natural lotion that I bought from a street market in the UK. The site you can order this face cream from is www.ayuuri.co.uk
The Philosophy products can be purchased online, at many malls and the BX or PX. Joyco products are good for healing the water damaged hair.
It has worked wonderfully for me so I thought I would share. No, I am not getting paid to promote these  products, however, I should look into that..... Now back on topic!

After you have done the obvious touristy things, ask a local for a cool place to hang out in the evening, that's a little off the beaten path. My family and I had the most wonderful night at a jazz lounge!

Even if you only have a moment or two, check out a little bit of the countryside, and enjoy all the beautiful little details England has to offer.
 
Sorry for the cruddy picture quality in the last two pictures above. I snapped these pictures in the car, on my phone, as we were driving.
I am truly in love with the thatch roofs on many of the homes here in England, they are precious. I also love how some large branches and a lantern make this simple home above, look straight out of a fairy tale. I will try this one day, even if it's just on a shed. How brilliant!
I love how slightly creepy yet beautiful it looks when the tide is out...
We went and ate fish, chips and mushy peas in the little ritzy town of Leigh "by the sea". It was splendid! This town is bursting with gorgeous design and clothing stores and fabulous bakery's and coffee shops. 
Before you leave England, do take a picture with the pound over your face.
Whatever the reason for your your travels to London, you will LOVE it! For frugal travel ideas, check out Rick Steve's website...his site and books are full of great ideas on how to travel on a budget. 

Tally-ho!


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Lots to love in this post!

    1) H&M - I have very fond memories of an H&M store in Bremen when my daughter was small. Great stuff, decent prices.
    2) LOVE the low tide pic...kind of apocalyptic in a very cool way, Love the DOF too.
    3) Had a good laugh at the pound note pic. What smarty pants came up with that?

    Looking forward to more fun!!

    Aloha,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yeah the low tide was really awesome to see in person...I couldn't get over it. My cousin's told me I had to do the pound thing...they are hilarious! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!!
      -Molly

      Delete
    2. Nice to have FUN family :-)

      Delete
  2. Loved looking at your photos of England! I went back in 2003 and it was amazing! I redid a whole bed in my front yard when I got home because I was so inspired by the beautiful gardens and countryside. I remember so many beautiful, sophisicated, ladies in London wearing scarfes and back then no one in the states was wearing them (at least not where I was living). Then celebrities started wearing them and now everyone does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous photos of London! It makes me want to book a flight to the UK. Thank you so much for sharing your photos and experiences. Your writing brings the pictures to life & makes me feel like I'm there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...