Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Embarking On A New Beginning

Guten Tag! Hey friends! I am finally starting to get settled into our new little village in Germany and are just loving it here! This is a dream come true for the both of us! I can't believe our move finally happened. Because we have been getting a home, buying a car, getting set up and settling in, I am way behind on blogging and everything else it seems. Now that I have some Internet set up I can share some adventures with you!
This last weekend was hectic for us, I wish I could have captured the town all decked out for the Easter festivities. Easter is huge in Europe....I mean huge. They get a four day weekend and all the villages are decorated and there are tons of Oster Markts (Easter markets and festivals). I also wish I had my things from home to set up an Easter table of our own but we won't be receiving most of our personal items from the states for another month or so. I guess I will have to wait to share a European Easter with you next spring, and I really look forward to it. 
By the way, pastries, gelato, and German chocolates are going to be a major problem for me.....

We have found a home that is just perfect for us. We love our little village, adore the heck out of our landlords and our neighbors are fantastic! The home is a fabulous mix of super contemporary and rustic....it is beyond perfect for us and I can't wait to get to decorating. Most homes here are either very very dated or, modern, stark and cold.  Everything is so different here including the typical design, the hardware stores and furniture shops (they are so stinkin' awesome here!) I am finding that Germany is so rich with great design ideas and solutions, incredible engineering and a ton of history and charm. It will be an adventure designing our new home and I can't wait to share the process with you! Our landlords are so wonderful and will let us do all the painting and updates that we want. Woohoo for me! It is quite rare here (and in the states for that matter) to find such lenient landlords and we are blessed with them and their friendship. I will show you pictures of our new home in my next post!
During our first two weeks here we have made great new friends and gone on a few adventures, including visiting a zillion castles (there are two gorgeous ruins of ones in our village!).
The pictures below are of Cochem Castle.
Cochem Castle is a  wonderful place to check out if you are ever in the area. It was inexpensive (about five Euro a ticket) to tour, a great hike to the top, dog friendly, and had a quaint cafe in it that had some spectacular views. 

These are our new friends!
As you know, I love chandeliers and had to get a shot of every one I saw in this castle.
This window looked like the main window at the Snow White Castle in Disneyland. I kept expecting Snow White's wicked stepmother to open the windows and pop her head out.

The view from the castle is unreal. The weird frog looking mascot with an over sized cape was not intimidating in the least....just a little weird haha. Wait....my husband just corrected me, I guess it's not a frog but a knights helmet...looks more like Kermie to me.....
Below are pictures of a village we visited. I felt like I'd bump into Pinocchio at any moment...Sorry for all this Disney talk, I can't help it.
I am obsessed with these wrought iron store front signs and am thinking I need one with our monogram over our front door. I saw some in Ballard designs that I just love! I will look around to see if I can find any antique ones I can refurbish first!


All in all, we love this new land we now call home!
I can't thank all of our family, friends, and fellow bloggers for the love encouragement and support!

Until next time...

Stay Tuned....
Design Solutions and shopping for our new European home.

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks like you are living in a fairytale land! It's soooo beautiful! I am really happy that you guys are settling in and that everything is going so well. I'm looking forward to seeing your new home next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa! We are beyond blessed....you would just love it here! How are you?

      Delete
  2. So jealous! Keep posting the pictures so we can live vicariously through you!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEEeeeeeeeee! I'm just so excited for you guys! It really does look like a fairy tale. Can't wait to see what you drum up in your home with all this inspiration around you! Also, I'm still laughing about the Frog/Knight. You are too funny Molls! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you thank you! We sure do love it here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aloha!

    You're about 150KM away from where I used to live and looking at the bakery display is making me drool...seriously! I don't miss much, but I do miss great bread and baked goods. If I close my eyes I can taste the Florentiner in you picture!
    If I remember right, you should be near wine country. Look forward to new wine and onion cake....enjoy some for me!
    Enjoy your new home and surroundings!

    Aloha a Hui Hou!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you do much! It is so fabulous here! I will be sure to enjoy Rome reisling and other treats for you! How long did you live here?

      Delete
    2. I lived there from 1980-2002- my parents decided to move and I was too young to say no :o) It was a nice stay and I enjoyed much (had my own craft store for 12 years), but always had the pull to move back to the States. Never thought I'd wind up in Hawaii though, and now we're planning to move on...excited to be someplace new again.

      Delete
  6. I found your blog kind of my a happy accident, while leaving a comment at my sweet savannah blog I noticed your comment and your blog address so I thought I'd take a look. I am so glad I did. You are precious, adventurous and have great style. Plus you will be blogging all kinds of fabulousness from Germany, WOW!!! I can't wait. I can't wait to have time to sit down and read more old post, and I look forward to new post. What an exciting time for you.

    Success and smiles,
    Tikaa
    greenacresbrenham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah congrats on a successful move Molly! We have friends there but they are just about to be moved back to the states. We're about to head to Japan so if you decide to give Space-A a whirl, you let me know! Can't wait to see your design solutions for temporary housing, I'm about to be in the same boat in a month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann I am so excited for you with your move to Japan! Everyone I know that is stationed there absolutely loves it! I am painting the house today but am still waiting to getall of our things from the states so I can get to the real decorating! I hope you are doing so well and I can't wait to hear about your move as well! Cheers!

      Delete

Thanks for the lovely comments! Each and everyone means so much to me! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...